Thursday, January 17, 2013

Weight Loss Goals

It seems like every year, I make a weight loss goal, and then end up only losing a few pounds and giving up, because I can't make any more progress.  I've been to the doctor in the past about it.  I have a couple of different health issues that make losing weight harder, and it seems like I'll try something, and it will work for a while, and then it will stop working.

Well, my doctor and I have decided that 2013 is going to be the year that I lose the weight. :) I've had a lot of weight issues, and without getting into all of them, I'll just say that I need to lose a lot of weight.  My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for several years, and while I am currently at a weight that my doctor finds acceptable for pregnancy, I would still like to lose more, before considering any outside help with a pregnancy.  We've pretty much come to the realization that getting pregnant completely on our own isn't going to happen.  But I would like to lose another 40 lbs or so before even considering any medical intervention.  I just turned 30 in August, and my son will be 7 in less than 3 weeks.  If we are going to have another child of our own, we need to get pregnant THIS year.  Elliott is already spoiled rotten, and I worry about how he will really feel when he goes from being an only child to a big brother.  So I would love to do this as soon as possible.


In an effort to do this, my doctor has given me some general work out guidelines, as well as some dietary advice.  He also started me on a medication to help with the hormonal issues, that sometimes helps with weight loss as well (it helped a little bit for me when I took it before, but not much, and it made me sick).  This time I am on a lower dose than last time, and I haven't had any trouble yet, but it's only been a few days.

I am to weigh in every week, and call in the numbers to my doctor every month, so he can monitor how I am doing, and offer any suggestions I might need along the way.  He says that with the regimen I am following, I can safely lose about 1-1.5% a week, with more possibly coming off at the beginning (he's ok with a whopping 2.5% each week for the first 4).

I plan on blogging every week with my percentage of weight lost.  If I post it here, as well as tell my doctor, I think I am more likely to follow through on following everything as I need to. The encouragement from friends online will certainly be helpful as well. :)  I'll actually probably end up starting another blog on here just for weight loss, if I can remember to consistently post about it, but for now I'll post it all on here.

1 comment:

Theresa Mahoney said...

Good luck on your weight loss and pregnancy journey! I know how difficult both can get for us when we hit our 30's! Our bodies just seem to say NO! then :( I'll be looking forward to your successful updates :)

Vacation Countdown

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker