Thursday, January 17, 2013

Weekly Grocery Spending

I still haven't made it to the commissary yet this month.  I had planned on going Tuesday, but then Elliott had basketball practice.  He also had basketball practice after school yesterday,too, so I didn't get there then either.  Today he has to finish a school project (because we haven't had enough time to work on it this week because of basketball) that is due tomorrow.  So it looks like tomorrow will be the day I finally make it to the commissary.  I would have gone without him, except that I promised him that he could look around for new lunch boxes ideas this time.  We are definitely in need of a trip to the commissary, though.  We are out of one or two of the items that I need for most of the meals that I've wanted to make lately.

Saturday after his basketball game, we did do some shopping, though.  We went to Walmart to get oil for my husband's truck, and also bought 4 avocados for $.78 each ($3.12).  Then we headed to Marketplace to buy a few things that were on sale, and get some produce.  We ended up spending $46.47.  That included 12 cans of kidney beans on sale for $.49 each ($5.88 total) and 12 boxes of macaroni and cheese for $.28 each ($3.36).  We don't actually eat all that much of either of those items, since I prefer to use dried beans, if I plan early enough in advance.  And I prefer my own homemade mac and cheese, too.  However, these are both things that I keep on hand for quick meals, plus they make great donations to food pantries. :)


I also ended up buying tomatoes, bagged salad, carrots, celery, and apples in the produce section.  I don't have the receipt in front of me, so I can't give exact details on those, but they were on sale, at least a little bit.  I also bought tater tots ($.99 a bag), 2 2.5 lb packages of Italian sausage ($1.99 per pound), and some veggie dip.  I might be missing something else, but that's just about it.

So for the week of January 11-17, I spent a total of $49.59 

That is significantly under our budget of $100 per week for our family of three adults, one child, 2 dogs, and a cat.  But when I go shopping tomorrow it will probably be well over $100, so it's a good thing I've been under budget so far.

That brings my 2013 grocery totals to $66.99


No comments:

Vacation Countdown

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker